Raleigh, North Carolina
A surprise divorce, no job and a move to a new state to start over at the ripe old age of 50. Maxed out my credit cards, lived off what little bit of money I had and ended up in bankruptcy court last year. I survived and am beginning to thrive! It's been tough, but now...so am I.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

HOMECOMING: A DICHOTOMY OF LIFE - Day 7 / Financial Peace University

Today's entry at one of my other blogs, Tales From My Tiny Kitchen, served as a reminder that I need to build an emergency fund, and more quickly than I thought.  My folks are aging; my stepfather is very sick from this latest bout of cancer. 


I'm sad today.  I couldn't figure out why until I simply closed my eyes and wrote the following.  


Saturday with my mother. We went to Long’s Plant Farm and bought huge bright yellow mums. Grace, one of the resident farm cats loved mom and was constantly rubbing up against her leg or hopping up on the flower stands and walking over to nudge mom’s hand for petting and loving. Mom laughter at the cat’s sweet attention hung in the air, light and tinkly – like the music from those old fashioned small rectangle glass wind chimes. The day was sunny and bright with just a hint of summer’s warmth left in it. We headed home and spent a lovely afternoon baking Chocolate Delight and Mississippi Mud Cake for her church’s annual Homecoming Celebration the next day. This was such a beautiful clip of time that it will remain in my heart’s memory for the rest of my life.


Saturday with my stepfather. Pa spent Saturday in the family room, in his recliner. He slept most of the day. I checked on him every ten minutes or so. His bright blue pajamas couldn’t lift the pallor from his skin. He had pulled the blanket up under his chin to try to get warm, even though it was 73 degrees in the room. Pa woke up every few minutes to run to the bathroom – a horrifically constant side effect of his third round of chemo in the last two years. Every once in a while he’d join in the conversation for a minute or two as if reminding himself, as well as us, that he was still with us. I leaned over to kiss his forehead. He glanced up at me, almost as if he was seeing me for the first time. His eyes carry a new knowledge. He's awaiting Homecoming as well. As we held each other’s gaze for one splintery sharp moment, he nodded his love at me and I nodded mine back to him. This too is emblazoned in my heart’s memory and will remain there for the rest of my life.


Baking with my mother for their church homecoming and watching my stepfather waste away from this damn cancer ~ such a dichotomy of life this weekend.

I'm hoping I'll learn something in tonight's class that will help me build up some money sooner rather than later.  Wish I could shake this sadness.  Wish I could shake a money tree.  Wish I was already through this course and was financially stable.

Until next time....

If wishes were horses
Beggars would ride
 
If turnips were watches
I would wear one by my side.
 
And if ifs and ands were pots and pans,
The tinker would never work!

No comments:

Post a Comment